Friday, March 27, 2009

one year

march 22nd, 2008
march 22nd, 2009

Sweet Merit Fey,
Last Sunday you turned ONE. I'm not sure how to put into words how this makes me feel. I do miss the tiny baby you once were, but I love the little girl you are becoming. It has been and will continue to be one of my greatest honors to watch you grow up. I know, without a single doubt, that great things are in store for you. If the coming years are near as happy as this last year was, we are in for fun time, my girl.

Of course, this past year went by quicker than I could have imagined. All of the warnings before you were born... "It goes by too quickly!" ... "She'll be one before you know it!" ... "She's going to grow up so fast!" ... all have become a reality and I find myself wanting to throw the same warnings at all of my pregnant friends. Yet another reason why I am so thankful that we decided it was best for me to be home with you this year. In fact, I officially resigned my teaching position this week. I don't want to miss a thing. I realize that you were supposed to change this much in the last year, but when I look and think back on twelve months ago, six months ago, even last week, I can't believe how much you have changed.

You went from this
to this
to this!

You're still as cute as ever, but your looks have changed a bit.
You were born with a full head of hair, much to my delight.
Then, it got to looking a bit, um, like this.
And, now! I am seeing some pigtails in the near future.
We took you for your one year check-up this week.

Dr. Brooks was impressed with how much you have learned since he last saw you. We saw that over the past year, you have gone from this
8 pounds, 5 ounces
21 inches long

to this
24 pounds
31 inches long!
We are so thankful for your good health.

Over the past month, you have started taking several steps at a time, but crawling is still your favorite mode of transportation. You do the hand sign for "more" when you are hungry, or when you just want more of what you are already eating. You know where your belly is, and you hold up one finger when we ask you how old you are. You've thrown a fit or two. You've got quite the personality. I had to call the Poison Control Center when you got a hold of a dishwashing pack. This led to your first real throw-up. All over my leg. You and I both handled the situation well, if I do say so myself.






So, one year. One unforgettable, precious year. I LOVE you, baby girl. I can't wait to celebrate you with our friends and family on Sunday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MERIT FEY!!!!!!

much love,
your mama

7 comments:

Pops said...

We are looking forward to Sunday too! Loved all the pictures! Grammie

erin f. said...

This is so sweet Sharon! What a wonderful mama you are. Merit is precious and very loved! Happy Birthday to her!

Sarah P said...

Yes, how DID it happen so fast?! As I was scrolling through your post I felt like I had just seen those newborn pics. I remember reading your blog and absorbing everything you were writing/saying because I knew I was in for the same ride in a few short months. Now Merit is a little girl and Brooks is EIGHT months old. Where does the time go?! I looked at him today and realized he's not a baby baby anymore. He, too, has thrown a fit or two and is developing quite the personality.
What an awesome responsibility we have to these precious little lives. You are such a wonderful mama, Sharon! I'm thankful to share in your journey and look forward to our children finally meeting some day!
Happy birthday, Merit! You are lovely and precious and everything a little girl after God's own heart should be. What a year!

Jennifer W said...

She is so beautiful Sharon! I can't believe how fast it is all going. Your letters to Merit are so special. One day when she has a baby of her own she will treasure each and every word. I choke up every time I think about Avelyn's first birthday next month. Excited, but blown away at how big she is getting :)

annalee said...

what a one-derful year indeed!

Biddy said...

awwww happy birthday, sweet pea!

Nikki said...

She is so precious. I loved your blog and all of the pics. You made me wonder if I will want to be a stay at home mom.