Friday, September 19, 2008

figures...

Mmm, a chocolate-dipped cone.

When one such thought creeps into my mind, I can't let it go until I go and get the ice cream cone. I'll think about it well into the night and will talk of nothing else until the cone is safe in my belly. So, about an hour ago, I strapped Merit in the car and off we went to get my dipped cone from McDonald's. I am familiar with this trip. I know the route well. I know the shortcuts that put my delicious cone in my hands about a minute or two sooner. I made the left turn down my shortcut street, and all I saw was a long line of red brake lights. What? This street is never backed up like this. Cars are turning around in driveways, so I followed the crowd and did the same. As I turned down another street, determined to get to my cone somehow, I noticed that the gas station on the upcoming street corner was packed. Cars were blocking traffic waiting to even turn in. I remembered that my shortcut street also has a gas station on the corner. The regular unleaded price was covered with a brown cardboard sign that read "OUT". Oh. Good thing I still have half a tank, I thought as I waited at the light. Finally, I arrived at my beloved seller of dipped cones, waited in a bit of a line in the drive-thru, and then pulled up to give my order.

Hi, welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order? the woman asked sounding annoyed.
Yes, I would like a dipped cone, please. I gave my order with excitement.
Oh, we're out of ice cream, she said quickly.
Shock and depression set in as I drove away.

No gas AND no ice cream? What is the world coming to?


5 comments:

Jennifer W said...

Mine is Pink Bubblegum ice cream from Baskin Robbins. I know, it probably sounds gross but it's my favorite. I've been eating it as long as I can remember. It's a summer only flavor so my entire pregnancy I went without. I resorted to my second favorite treat in the world - strawberry icing, straight from the carton. Please don't judge. :) These be hard times when you can't get gas, bubblegum ice cream or a dipped cone...

KimM said...

Sharon, now you know what true suffering feels like. Let this be an important lesson.

erin f. said...

Wow...running out of gas and ice cream? How terrible. I think I might rather be out of gas than ice cream if I had to choose :)

Jill said...

I had one of these today...yum-o!

I can't imagine what I would have done had they told me, "no you can't have one!!"

Jennifer Nieland said...

Yes, camp counselor and adult sponsor on trek when there were only like 3 girls going. Haha... We had a great time, though!