Saturday, September 13, 2008

09.13.00

Eight years ago today, by the lake at Nelson Park in Abilene, 
Kevan and I decided we were "official". 
Photobucket
We had gone on our first date about a month before, and spent every moment we could with each other from then on. We were serious about each other, but situations caused us to be hesitant to call each other girlfriend or boyfriend. Situations like...Kev being a junior in high school and me being a freshman at ACU. 
Photobucket
 We were so very happy. But I had received comments and advice from several telling me to "enjoy my freshman year" and " make the most of Welcome Week" and "don't date high school boys". Kevan also did not want me to miss out on anything, so we both decided in August that we wouldn't jump into anything just yet. But as much as we wanted to believe that was best, we both just wanted to be together. I tried to make the most of Welcome Week, but ended up, well, hating it. I was even asked out a couple of times, but I turned them down because I already felt a commitment to Kev.  I couldn't explain it to anyone...especially those urging me to stick to college and, you know, college boys. 
Photobucket
So, on September 13th, a good 3 weeks into "making the most" of my freshman experience, I decided that being with Kevan was what I wanted to do, and I told him that night by the lake. I was essentially following the advice I had been given...having Kevan in my life made my freshman year enjoyable, memorable, and fulfilling. I couldn't pass on the opportunity to date him. We both sensed even then that we were going to get married, so a relationship that seemed unconventional to some, made perfect sense to us.
Photobucket
Kev, I'm so glad we followed our hearts eight years ago and went for it. I can't imagine going through college, marriage, parenthood, or any other step in my life without you. You are my rock and have been since the beginning. I've loved having you by my side for the past almost decade of my life. And I love you. A lot. Like, a lot.

11 comments:

Kara said...

so sweet! i love hearing peoples' stories!

Unknown said...

Sweet family:) Love those "baby" pictures of you and Kev!

Jennifer W said...

I'm telling you, we must have been friends in a previous life. My husband's name is Kevin, we started dating on 9/13 but in 1998 and our daughters both have unique but beautiful! names. Just a little weird...

annalee said...

ah, mooey!!! i love your story. way to follow your heart!

Kaylane said...

That was a great post Sharon! Thanks for sharing your story!

Biddy said...

i've heard it before, but i still love hearing the story of you and kev!

i also love your new header!!

erin f. said...

How sweet, I love your love story :)

You guys are cuter than ever. Especially with a little MerMer at your side!

Michelle said...

what a sweet story!

Kyla said...

For some reason I was thinking that you and Kevan dated when you were both in high school. I'm glad I know the truth now. Love the story. Couldn't help notice that since then, you've gotten a little bit smaller and Kevan has gotten a tad bit bigger. :) Hehe.

Michelle said...

THANK YOU SOO MUCH! i love it, and your instructions were wonderful!

Lindsey said...

Hey girl, I have made a scrapblog but I can't figure out how to get it on my blog...Yours and Michelle's look amazing, would you be so kind to send me the instructions(I am not too computer savvy) thank you so much! And I love the love story!!!