Sunday, March 16, 2008

bad sister, rad brother


Here it is, March 16th. Eight days after my brother Matt's 30th birthday, and I didn't even make mention of it on my blog. I just started thinking about how I paid tribute to my dad and oldest brother Paul on their birthday in August, and I did the same for my mom in January. I feel terrible that I forgot to say anything for Matt last Saturday.  You see, he is the middle child and has been dealing with this kind of thing for 30 years, or at least since I came along. (I came home from the hospital on his 4th birthday, and he just won't let that go...) :) So, Matt, I apologize for not giving you the proper sisterly blog birthday love.

Matt is such a great brother and has forever been one of my greatest friends. I look up to him more than he knows and always have.  I am sure I tagged along way too much when we were kids, but I loved being around my brothers and loved doing (or watching) what they were doing. Now that we are older, it is no different. I love being around Matt any chance I get, and I truly enjoy getting to witness him doing what he does for a living. He is a major part of a ministry called Dry Bones that works with runaway and homeless teens and young adults on the streets of Denver, CO. If you've never heard of it, please go and check it out. He and his wife, Nikki, have been working with Dry Bones for several years now, and I am still in awe of what they do. Matt is also the adventurous one in our family. He is always doing crazy things like bungee jumping in New Zealand, climbing to the base of Everest in Nepal, or accompanying Kevan to Bonnaroo each summer--all things I will most likely never do. He is indeed a unique individual, and I love that about him. 
So, Brother Matt, Happy Birthday a week ago! I love you very muchly. Let's end with a few of my fave pics of us that we took last summer...
here we are being ourselves
here we are imitating the other (i squint my eyes and matt slaps on a sing song face...nice.)
here we are both being me...
...and then both being matt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my precious kids! I love you so much! Mama

Stacia said...

That was a really cute post...love the goofy pics...I keep checking like 5 times a day to see if anything is happing with little baby girl...It's getting so close. Make sure someone posts something ASAP for all of us in blogland :-}

Anonymous said...

Here it is on March 22, 14 days after my birthday - and I'm just now reading your sweet gift of nice words to me. Not only is your gift late, but another baby comes on the day I receive it. When do I get to get some attention!?
Of course - I'm totally joking. Baby Merit is a wonderful complement to this nice gift. I am excited to see her and meet her!
Thanks for you kindness. You are a wonderful sister to me. (Just for the record - I think that my impersonation of you is much better than your impersonation of me.)
Love you!
Matt