Monday, March 31, 2008

merit's birthday

If you look down a few posts, you'll see a timeline of the day before Merit came. I could just pick up where that one left off, because I never went to sleep that night. I don't know if it was normal restlessness from pregnancy, or if I had some intuition about what was to come, but wide awake I was. Around 3 am, things started to get exciting...

3:05 am - I felt a painless contraction, but assumed it was only a Braxton-Hicks.
3:15 am - I felt another contraction, but this one was different and stronger, making me feel like I should maybe start timing these things.
3:15 am-3:45 am - Contractions started to come 8-10 minutes apart and were getting more painful. I decided to wake Kevan up.
3:45 am-5:30 am - Contractions continued anywhere from 4-10 minutes apart; Kev finished up some last minute things around the house and we decided we are going to the hospital.
6:00 am - We left for the hospital, but had to stop by CVS first because our camera battery was dead! Kevan called the doctor on the way to CVS. While Kev was in CVS, my contractions started coming 3 minutes apart and I got really nervous that I'd have to give birth at CVS.
6:20 am - We arrived at the hospital and checked in...I didn't read anything I signed.
6:30 am - I was taken to triage to get checked out and see if I was truly in labor.
6:45 am - The nurse told me I was already at 5 centimeters...my eyes got bigger than they have probably ever been before as I did not expect to hear that. Ohhhhh, nervous.
7:15 am - Finally, I was taken to Labor room #3114. Nurse Nancy asked if I was ready for an epidural and I gave her an emphatic, "Yes, please."
8:00 am - Received the beloved epidural.
8:45 am - Nurse Nancy came in to check my progress...almost to a 10. What?! I hadn't expected things to progress so quickly!
9:00 am - Dr. Hirsch came in to break my water. Wow is all I can say about that experience.
9:30 am - Dr. seemed concerned...he and the nurse talked under their breaths for a bit and the ultrasound machine was brought in. Not knowing yet what was going on, I was worried...
10:00 am - Dr. explained that Merit was coming face first ("face presentation") and a c-section would be the safest way to deliver. They prepped me for surgery.
10:30 am - Taken into the operating room, the coldest room in which I have ever been in my life. I had a range of emotions at this point...a little nervous about having surgery, but SO excited that we were about to meet our daughter in a matter of minutes! It was very surreal.
10:57 am - Merit Fey was born! Her cry was the sweetest sound I've ever heard. I could hear the nurses commenting about how she sounded like a cat and then about how long her eyelashes were. Kev followed her to the table behind me while she got cleaned up. He kept looking back at me with the biggest smile on his face. When they brought her over to me, I said she was beautiful and then tried lifting up her little hat and asked if she had hair. Merit, I apologize for not asking if you were healthy first. :)
12:50 pm - After a nap, I woke up to realize that neither my husband nor my baby were in the room with me. Wonderful Nurse Nancy sent for them, and I finally got to hold my baby girl in my arms! We then spent some time just the 3 of us...some of the sweetest moments of my life.












The rest of that day is a blur of excitement, emotions, phone calls, and visitors. I loved everything, and most importantly, who March 22nd brought us. What a perfect day. I can't even find words to explain how I felt that day, and how I continue to feel about my new little family. All I can say is that Merit has arrived, and in many ways, so have I.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always know how to bring tears to my eyes!! I don't know if it's cause I'm fixing to be there too, because of your beautiful writing, because I love you so much and am so happy for you, or because your pictures are worth a million words!! For whatever reason...you do. Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you're doing well! Love you.

erin f. said...

Reading this made me want to have a baby more than ever! I can't even imagine how it must feel to have your own baby in your arms for the first time. I'm so happy for you!!!

Kara said...

thanks for the timeline! i had no idea you had a csection. i am glad you labored so fast though- it would have been miserable to labor for a long time THEN have to have a major surgery!
can't wait to see more pics of that precious girl!

Stacia said...

Thanks for giving us all the details of Merit's birthday! I was concerned when I heard c-section but glad to know why it happend and that everything turned out just fine. She is so cute and you and Kevin look so happy as parents! Enjoy every minute. And I love her little bows! I did the same thing with my little girl (my nurse told me to use KY jelly till she had enough hair!)

Kyla said...

Awww! I love delivery stories!! There must be something great about having a baby in the month of march. Ava was born the 28th, and I, too, went into labor at 3:00 a.m. and she was born at 11:44! Weird. I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you have 'arrived.' I feel like I wasn't ever completely myself until I had Ava.

lhall said...

please write a childrens book.

...and make merit the main character...

erin f. said...

Sharon, don't tease me with comments about coming to live with me. Now that Kyla is moving to Dallas I am the one and only friend that is ALL ALONE IN ARKANSAS!!! So please, come live with me :) You guys can have the whole downstairs!

Anonymous said...

a few things...
1. the post about the name "merit" made me cry.
2. Merit looks adorable in the House of Blues shirt. maybe she'll be a rocker like her daddy.
3. I loved reading about the day! There were many hours of that day that I was praying for you and Merit!!! What an amazing day!!!
4. I love the Albright family
Love, Kasey

JENNY said...

Sharon, you are such a great writer. I love this post. Your daughter is beautiful and I am so happy for you!

Biddy said...

annnnnnnd i'm crying! so so precious!!

oh i want to hold her and smell that sweet baby smell and tell her parents how beautiful she is!!

*Courtney* said...

so precious! i didn't realize you had a c-section. glad it all went well.

it's true, that feeling when you have your baby, unexplainably amazing. :)