Wednesday, March 5, 2008

the past few moments

I am here on the couch, feet up, bowl of popcorn by my side, and I can hear the sound of sink water running and silverware clanging as Kevan loads the dishwasher. The water has shut off,  and he comes into the living room to fold some laundry. He gives me a sweet smile as he passes by. His Converse-covered feet shuffle back to the kitchen and the sink runs again. I now hear some scrubbing of pots and scolding of Lola...she got into the trash. I hear cabinet doors open and close, tings and bangs as he struggles to return each pot to its tiny, crowded home in our kitchen...but I don't hear him say a word. He doesn't come tell me how he wishes I was of more help this evening. He doesn't utter a complaint or even a sigh. 

But through all of his busyness, he is saying something to me. 

I hear you, Kev, and I love you, too.

8 comments:

Stacia said...

That was a really sweet post. It's easy to forget that little things like that are another way to say "I love you"....especially when you let the craziness of family life get in the way...thanks for the reminder :-)

Cassie said...

Sharon, I love your sense of humor! I can't stop giggling!! Anyway, it seems like you are in good hands! I love your belly pics.
Cassie

Angela said...

What a great husband! He gets brownie points for sure.

Anonymous said...

That was a sweet blog. I love it. I'm glad you have a husband that treats you like the princess you are! Love you!

Chels said...

Sharon, that was the sweetest post. I just said "Awww" outloud at my desk. You're right...he is serving you and forgetting about his own desires and focusing on being the man the Lord made for you! I'm so happy and CANNOT wait to meet Lyla. (Did I guess it?!)

Anonymous said...

Tell Kevan I love him too. You are the best writer! I love you, Mama

Sarah P said...

Isn't that the greatest gift? I cannot thank God enough for the husband he blessed me with. I am forever grateful that he has no aversions to washing dishes, taking out the trash or eating leftovers.
And I totally agree with the feet up thing. My goal is to make it through without swelling up into cankles. We'll see...

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through reading Megan Doak's page. It caught my eye and have continued reading your updates for months--Don't thnk I'm a weird stalker!!...You are just a really great writer.

Anyways, I just wanted to wish your little family the best of luck the next couple of weeks. You guys seem like such a great couple who will make amazing parents.

-Sasha Hollingworth
Texas