Monday, January 7, 2008

oh, you just wait

Apparently, being a pregnant girl means that I am waiting for many things other than just a sweet baby. People keep telling me to "just wait." I don't feel that I am being overly impatient in regard to the things to which they are referring...but still, I am told to wait. Unfortunately, I most often hear this phrase in response to the negatives of motherhood and raising babies. "You think you aren't sleeping now? Just wait." "Not a lot of extra money? Just wait until you have to buy diapers every week." "Feeling a bit uncomfortable nearing the 30th week? Just wait until your 39th week." I am learning to filter the comments and advice I am (lovingly, I'm sure) given on a daily basis. 

But, of course, not all are negative. These are the pieces I cling to and treasure, because they are, after all...rare.

Yesterday, Kevan and I sat behind a family at church who had 7 kids, all under the age of 8 or 9. The youngest two were twin baby girls, and the next to youngest was a 3 or 4 year old boy in a wheelchair. The mother introduced herself to me and showed interest in my growing belly. I told her this was my first and that I was absolutely in awe of her. She could have told me about how hard it was to feed her son through a feeding tube soon after she got settled in her seat only to most likely do it again before she left church. She could have chosen to tell me about how she was annoyed when she had to miss three-fourths of the service to go and nurse her babies.  She could have told me to wait for when I wanted some time to myself and couldn't have it because of the kids. Instead, she simply said, "It is so wonderful. You are going to love it." Then, she offered her assistance in any way by telling me I could call her anytime if I needed anything. As if she weren't selfless enough caring for her 7 young children, she wanted to give some of her self to me. I think I am getting off topic (I REALLY liked this lady), but I say all that to say this... her comment was a breath of fresh air, a little gift in my day, a reminder that no matter what may come, waiting joyfully is always better than the alternative.


  28 weeks and waiting...

9 comments:

Kelli said...

Good post! Sometimes it seems like every new thing in life comes with tons of advice that is totally negative. Graduation, jobs, marriage, babies...It is refreshing to hear about someone who is truly excited about this awesome new chapter n your life. You are so cute, I just love your belly, and you have the best attitude! Have a great week!

Katelyn said...

I'm so glad you found some encouragement! I love it when stuff like that happens, especially when you sometimes just need it. :)

Cassie said...

What a great moment! I love positive people!

It is so funny (and strange) that such a joyous time in life is usually met with negative comments...it's like people aren't sure what to say so they go with the worse thing they can think of:) AND your belly is one of the cutest bellies I've seen!

Jennifer Nieland said...

I cannot even begin to tell you the amount of sex advice I got when Zane and I were engaged by women that were 65+... (as if they had any current experience...)

So I somehow understand the same general feeling! haha... I love how people think that you want their advice!

And you look wonderful!

JENNY said...

Great post! And, I agree with Cassie....your belly is so cute!

Anonymous said...

I feel you Sharon, those comments are always discouraging...I always hate it when people talk about how hard marriage gets after you're out of the newlywed stage. I love it when anyone who has been married for 50 years talks about how much they love their spouse. Life is only as much of a letdown as we let it be. So you just wait until you have that little girl, it's going to be AMAZING! Love you.

Kara said...

zach and i were able to go to small group without the boys on sunday night. we were walking home afterwards and i said something like 'ahh...the days of not having any babies..'. then i realized that i don't miss those days at ALL! i LOVE being a mom, and you are going to love it too!
i also LOVED being pregnant, and i miss the days of being huge. the extra 55 lbs. and all! savor these moments of feeling your little girl in your belly. there is nothing like it!

*Courtney* said...

what a sweet lady! like kara, i too miss the days of being pregnant...but actually having your baby out in the world is equally wonderful and rewarding. it's true, you're going to LOVE it! :)

Kellee said...

Sharon! I just found your blog and have enjoyed catching up on you. You look adorable pregnant and will make a great mom.