Thursday, October 23, 2008

my heroes have always been cowboys

After church on Sunday, we joined half the congregation at Cross Plain's newest Mexican restaurant, Mexico City Cafe, which had a great spread at the buffet, including tacos, enchiladas, fried chicken, and strawberry cake. We then drove all around Coleman County to feed my dad's cows. I have fond memories of doing this with my PaPa and FayFay, so I was excited that Merit was going to get to feed the cows with her PaPa and Nina. Luckily, Nina didn't make Merit use the restroom in an old tire like my FayFay once made me do. At our first stop, my dad told me about how the last several times he has visited this herd, he has seen a wild pig who likes to hang with the cows. I wanted so badly to see this. He didn't show up for a while, but soon a little calf came trotting up, and sure enough, the little pig was following. (Click these pics to make them bigger if you're interested in seeing the pig. He was so cute!)

I always enjoy watching my dad with his cows. With the honk of his horn, a few "Whoo cows!", and a couple shakes of a feed sack,  the cows come a-runnin. 

He feeds them some cow cake... ...counts them,
...and knows that even cows need some love. 
My dad always tries to buy and raise gentle cows.

Merit loved meeting the cows. PaPa loved introducing her.


It was a good day. Could have only been better if a certain 6'4" handsome fella known by the name of Kevan to many, and Daddy to one, had been in this picture with us.


post signature

2 comments:

Jennifer W said...

Wonderful pictures Sharon. You write so beautifully of your family, it is truly inspiring.

Anonymous said...

That does bring back fun memories!