Tuesday, October 21, 2008

burkett. texas: population 30

The first Sunday here in Texas, Merit and I went along with my parents to Burkett, about 45 minutes from Abilene. My dad preaches at the town's only church on Sundays. 

Before church every Sunday, my dad stops by this house to visit Velma and Esther, two ladies who are now unable to make it to church. They loved meeting Merit. As Esther held Merit, Velma told us about a childhood memory of riding to church in her family's wagon, laying on blankets in the back. 

The church is where my dad first preached at the age of 16. My grandfather frequented the pulpit years ago, and my brothers and Kevan have also preached here a time or two.

I love the charm and simplicity of this little church.

Merit definitely didn't go unnoticed. She was everyone's favorite member that day. This is Mary, one of my favorites. She loves my dad like her own son.

And this is "Dad". He's a cutie!

PaPa was pretty proud to show Merit off that day. (He's pretty proud any day...)
But not as proud as we are of him.


{up next...Merit becomes a cowgirl}

post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very very cool pictures Sharona.

Anonymous said...

Sweet story and pictures! Janice

Anonymous said...

It does my heart good to see those pictures, Sharon. I have a very special place in my heart for that little church and will forever be thankful for the love they have shown me and Jacquie over the years. What I did not see on the blog were pictures from lunch at Jean's Feed Barn in Cross Plains. Don't tell me that you went to Burkett on a Sunday morning without eating luch at Jean's!

Spruce

KimM said...

This is a classic post! One of the best.