Monday, November 22, 2010

what a difference a year makes...

November 2009


November 2010



Merit Fey is growing up. I remember the baby girl in the first picture and video, but it takes looking at pictures and watching sweet videos to remember her well. These days she is "reading" and telling stories, remembering things that happened months ago, and pretending to be someone else most of the time.

So that I can remember 2.5-year-old Merit well, here are some of my favorite Merit conversations and moments from the past few weeks:

Standing in line at Subway, she saw an orange Fanta drink in the cooler.
Merit: Mama, you had that in the hospital!
Me: Had what?
Merit: That orange drink. Daddy and PaPa gave it to you!
I never drink orange Fanta, but the afternoon of August's birth I was dying of thirst, so Kevan and my dad went and got me a drink and that is what they brought back. On that day 3 months ago is the only time Merit has ever seen me with a Fanta, and I had totally forgotten about it until she reminded me.

One day last week she found a Nickel Creek song on my phone and was listening to it. (She knows how to do just about anything on our phones!) She remembered that we had listened to that song in the car in April on our camping trip.
Merit: We listen that song and I play the cup guitar! And we slept in the tent. And we saw deer!
True on all accounts! And it all happened over 6 months ago.

Merit is very much like me in that she likes to go - she doesn't want to stay home too much. As I've been adjusting to having two kids, we have stayed home more than she is used to, and I also don't get all the way "ready" most days. One day I had decided to actually put real clothes on and do my hair. She came into the bathroom and saw what I was doing.
Merit, excitedly: Mama, where we goin'?
Me: Oh, nowhere.
Merit, disappointed: No, I wanna go YES where!

Not only do I not get ready most days, but I haven't cleaned a ton either. Two kids - it's an adjustment, k? So, the other day Kevan and I were determined to get the house clean and organize some things. Merit came into the kitchen to see that I was sweeping.
Merit: Mama, who's comin' over?
Ha! She thinks cleaning the house = company. Sadly, most of the time she would be right!

She is really into naming her toys lately. Anytime you ask her what she has named something, she quickly thinks of a random word to use as a name. The name rarely sticks because she has a hard time remembering the word she used first.
For example, she has a plastic dinosaur that has had several names since she got her (she told me the dinosaur was a girl) :) including, but not limited to: Nole, Lum, Bump, and Chelly.

She also pretends a lot that she and anyone else who may be around are other people/characters.
For example, if she is Ariel, then I am Flounder. If she is a kitty cat, then I am a mama kitty cat. Yesterday she wasn't a character, but just had a new name: Buncha. Which meant that I was Mama Buncha, Kevan was Daddy Buncha, and August was Baby Buncha. When she is pretending like this, she will say your name at the beginning and the end of what she has to say. "Hi, Flounder, what you doin', Flounder?" If you respond without saying her pretend name, she wants you to repeat it again, beginning with her pretend name. And she always lets us know when she is Merit again.

I will most likely come back here and add more as I remember them. Kevan and I are amazed daily at the things she says and does. It's a very surreal experience to witness someone grow up from day one. I am so very thankful for Merit Fey!

4 comments:

mama nina said...

It's because she is so brilliant that she does all of that. Hum - she MUST be kin to you two. Again, I loved the post.

erin f. said...

Oh Sharon, all of that is so adorable. Can I please call you Buncha from now on? Oh my so funny. This makes me both extremely excited about what is to come out of my own childs mouth and slightly worried about grayer who is only 2 weeks younger than her and barely even talks. Mandy told me that when he sees cows outside he says "horsey mama!". And my immediate thought was wow that's a lot if words for him...who cares if he knows what a cow is! Ha. Todd didn't talk until he was three so we may be in the same boat with Ellie!

lhall said...

I just watched the part in the first video where she realizes her baby isn't in the stroller 6 times. And I laughed harder (until there were tears) each time! She is so precious.

KimM said...

The thing Merit said about cleaning the house for company - too funny! As kids, we'd all run around frantically cleaning before we had company. I can totally relate, Merit!

On the Halloween pics, I was hoping you and Kevan would be a block of cheese and a mouse trap to complete the family theme.