Tuesday, August 24, 2010

August's birthday, part 1

My apologies for the lack of blogging since August's arrival! I was on the computer so much before she came trying to catch up on Redbud projects that I welcomed the break from the computer the past 11 days. I have A LOT of catching up to do, so here goes...

The morning of August's birthday, we had to be at the hospital at 9:30. We got up, spent some time with our only child Merit, then headed off to have a baby!

last family of 3 pic


one last belly pic

At the hospital, checked in and waiting...waiting...waiting.


My parents brought Merit in to visit before my c-section. I was afraid seeing me in the hospital bed might scare her, but she came in and hugged me and kept asking, "Mama, is this your doctor?"

showing off their special visitor bracelets...

We were supposed to go back at noon, but our doctor was running a bit late, so it was around 12:15 before they took me to the OR. I was of course excited, but VERY nervous!

about to go meet our second baby girl

At 12:39pm, she was here!
She cried. Kev smiled. I smiled. And cried.
Our hearts doubled in size that very moment.

(This video does NOT show anything from the c-section, but watch at your own risk. :) I especially love the audio...Kev's happy laughs and August's sweet cry.)


7 pounds, 11 ounces, 19 inches long










Instead of taking her straight to the nursery, they let us keep her with us as we finished up in the OR, and the entire time we were in Recovery. No cell phones were allowed to be used in either place, and Kev didn't want to run off too quickly to use his phone. Because of this, we were a bit late spreading the good news about her birth, which made for some worried family and friends - sorry! They told us we would be in Recovery for 2 hours or so, but we ended up being in there close to 4 hours, waiting on a room to open up. My mom and Kevan were the only ones allowed back to see me and August, so again, more waiting for the rest of the family (including big sister!) to meet August.



Finally, we got a room and they took August to the nursery, so the rest of the grandparents got to go stare at her sweet little face there!

Up next, August meets the rest of the family, including her sweet big sister. 
Here is a sneak peek - Merit's first glimpse of her baby sister...



6 comments:

kristin fulghum said...

adorable!

Wee Little House said...

I just teared up. That video is so sweet. It's like we got to experience the birth, minus the cutting and bloody parts. :)
We LOVE your sweet family. And can't wait to see that baby girl again soon.
(P.S. Your parents are the cutest couple!)

Kyla said...

Oh how this brings back memories!!! August is absolutely gorgeous! I think she looks like all of you!

annalee said...

1) i love those last few belly shots so much.
2) i said it once upon a time on bunkbeds in long beach and i'll say it again- you move me. and you're muy:)
3) august's birth story had me crying big ol' happy tears.
4) love, love, love your family of four.

Elliott and Cherry Wood said...

That video is amazing! how wonderful to have her first little cry for you to listen to over and over again :) I'm so happy for you guys--thank you for bringing those baby girls to Leighton's birthday on Saturday! It was so good to see you and meet your new beautiful baby girl.

Kyla said...

Ok, sorry to comment a second time... but I forgot to go back and watch the video the first time. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to watch that without crying. Especially if you've had one of your own... oh my. God is amazing. What an awesome miracle!! So happy for all of you that August is so perfectly beautiful and healthy. :) Love you!