Monday, May 3, 2010

naShville floodS

As you may have heard, we got a drop or two of rain this weekend here in Tennessee. Franklin received 17 inches of rain in 2 days...Nashville received about 15. Things are really, really bad for a lot of people--loss of life, homes, businesses...but we were blessed to not have too much damage from the storms. 

There was once a river running through our carport and down the driveway, but it went down as soon as the rain (finally) stopped.


The only thing that happened to our house is that the crawl space under the house is completely filled with water. We'll be having it pumped out soon...so thankful that this is all we have to deal with. This is the entrance to the crawl space.

We were able to get out a little today, and we went and saw a street less than a mile from our house that was badly flooded.


notice the white car in the next two


view of the street

Again, we are SO blessed, especially to be where we are. Things are horrible in the part of town where our last apartment was. 

the interstate right by the street that our last apartment was on

a nearby car dealership that we passed by everyday
downtown Nashville before the floods

and after :(

even the Grand Ole Opry has been flooded

It is just devastating. Please be praying for all who have been affected - especially the families who have lost loved ones. I know I talk a lot about my allegiance to Texas, but I will say that this town has grown on me. After all of the pictures and footage that I have seen the last couple of days of people helping friends and strangers alike, I can say that I am proud to live here.

And just to lift the spirits a bit, I will leave you with a picture I took of Merit last week when it was raining - a few days before the flooding rains. She had been sitting on the potty and wanted to go look at the "wain". 

She is going to love me for this someday.


12 comments:

Cassie said...

This is INSANE! It's really hard to wrap my brain around, actually! We are praying for the whole city.

And that's just about the cutest picture I've ever seen :)

courtney said...

i've been watching the pictures on the news--it's crazy. i'm glad y'all are safe and that your house sustained minimal damage.

oh, merit....what a cutie!

Courtney said...

Glad y'all are safe! Let us know if you need anything!!

Anonymous said...

That picture of I-24 is just hard to believe!! I love Merit's picture! Grammie

Carol said...

Sharon! It's Carol Craft(Gilmore). I was looking at your Facebook today to see how y'all are doing and if the flooding had affected you guys at all. I saw the link to your blog and I've been reading at work for the last couple hours...it is sooo neat!! I love all the pictures and just seeing how y'all are doing. Such a precious little family!! :)

annalee said...

i'm so thankful y'all are safe and okay. will be praying for all of nashville though!

Life as a Spencer! said...

I should be commenting on the floods but I just can't get over the picture. I mean just the most adorable thing I have ever seen. I always thought our daughter was adorable from the front but the back...even cuter!

erin f. said...

That Merit pose is classic. Oh my goodness, it should be on a postcard.

Poor, poor Nashville. My heart is broken, I hate it. I wish I could be there to help with something, I will always love Nashville.

KimM said...

Merit's picture cracked me up! I think it is the hand on hip and cocked hip. Too cute!

Yeah, I was wondering if y'all got flooded too. Glad y'all don't have any damage.

Anonymous said...

Thats really all so amazing. I am so glad yall are ok. praying for nashville! -Kasey

Jessica said...

So glad yall are safe. We'll keep praying for everyone in that area.

P.S. Stinking cute picture of Merit!!

Kyla said...

I was just hearing about this on the news. Can't believe it that! I have seen first-hand after living here in what devastation flooding can bring. It is so terrible. I am so sad for the city of Nashville right now. They will recover, but it will take a long time. I am thanking God with you that your house didn't flood! - Merit is so cute in her 'naked jaybird' picture. :)