Thursday, September 6, 2007

hangman, anyone?


Tuesday I finally told my kids that I'm pregnant. I waited until the end of the day because I knew of the inevitable chaos that would follow such an announcement. We played a game of Hangman on the overhead, and it was so funny when they finally figured out the message. Of course, a million questions followed, along with several name suggestions. Here are a few examples of the responses from my 4th graders:

"Why don't you look pregnant?"
"If you don't have it by March 22nd, could your stomach explode?"
"Can I name your baby?"
"I think you should name it Eddie, whether it is a boy or a girl."
"If you hug Mrs. Albright too hard, she may throw up the baby." (I have received several one-armed side hugs since.)
"How fat will you get?"

I could go on and on and will most likely have more funny quotes to add to that list before it is all over. (By the way, if you look closely at the overhead pic, you may notice a little stick drawing of a baby. One kid asked me how big the baby is right now, so I drew a line about 2 inches long and demonstrated the position the baby might be in. They were all really shocked after I drew the picture, and I was saying, "I know, isn't it amazing?" It wasn't until later that night that I thought about how my 2 inch drawing was being enlarged into a 15 inch drawing on the screen. Duh. My poor kids are probably so confused...)

Once I told my class, I was excited to tell some of my kids from the past couple of years, but when school let out and I stepped into the hallway, the word had already spread. I instantly heard my name buzzing all throughout the hallway. It reminded me very much of how I felt, like, everyday in high school. Ha....riiiiiigghhht.

I'll leave you with a picture. Kasey Wilson requested that I send her a current pic of my "belly" so Kev and I thought it would be really funny to take this and send it to her. This, thank the good Lord, is not what I currently look like, but I am sure it is merely a glimpse of what's to come.

5 comments:

annalee said...

that is the cutest way you told your class. what a great idea. and your tummy looks awesome! (i like the foreshadowing pic, but i demand a real pic asap too!!!

Chels said...

OK, nice picture. She told me about that, but I know also that you sent her a real picture....and I'd like to be sent that as well. You're awesome. Those comments were hysterical and I cannot wait to hear some of the other ones. It reminds me of one night when we had people over to pray for Sis and Conor. I took on the role of keeping Sellers pre-occupied, so I took her to watch a movie. When we were alone, she asked why everyone was sad and I told them it was b/c Copeland was sick and they didnt want her to be. A few minutes passed and then she looked up at me (from sitting on the pot - which I think makes the story so much cuter) and goes "so wike, does Copeland have to frow up and wike her stomach huwts?"

Aw, the simplicity of children. I love it so much!

Kara said...

i laughed out loud at the 2 inch/15 inch story. you might have to tell them the truth...

Blake and Moriah said...

Love the picture and the shirt! We haven't seen you in forever! Are you coming over tonight or what?

Anonymous said...

That is sooo cute!! My kids cant really read yet, so it wouldn't have been as fun!! I have been thinking about it and I think you should name your baby Laura...after the awesome person who swore she wouldn't tell Kevan you liked him and lied and now look where you are at?? hahaha