Thursday, April 14, 2011

merit's 3rd birthday, part one

{a really long post about Merit's actual birthday before another really long post about Merit's birthday party}

The day of Merit's actual birthday was super busy and fun. Kevan and I had decorated the house and kitchen with pink and purple balloons and streamers, so when she woke up and came into our room to wake us up, she had already seen the decorations. She and Kevan got up to go get some (pink) donuts, and I could hear her in the kitchen saying, "Daddy, it's my birthday! I'm three! Can you believe I'm three?!" When they got back, we ate breakfast together and she got to open her pink and purple presents. Her pj's and hoodie even matched. This girl loves a good pink and purple color combo.


Pictured below - 1. Unknowingly sitting on her big birthday present - a new swingset from us and the Albrights. 2. I had been telling her for a while that she could have gum when she turned three, so she got to chew her first piece of gum. 3. More practice making a three.


I told her I would take her to the zoo, and she was SO excited. Here she is in the car on the way at 10:57am, exactly the time she was born three years ago!


We got all the way to the zoo to see this:

I made the mistake of getting her and August out and in the stroller before I decided that I just couldn't do it. I've never seen the zoo that busy, and I didn't think I could handle the double stroller in a crowd by myself! I felt TERRIBLE, but I made the excited birthday girl a sad birthday girl and got us back in the car. She cried and cried for the 30 minute drive back to our side of town (and I did a little, too! Oh, man, I felt bad). I got the idea to take her to Build-a-Bear since she had never been, and I knew she'd love it. She wasn't convinced as we drove to get Kevan and go to the mall, but once we got there and she figured out what it was, she LOVED it! Birthday saved!

 She chose a pink and purple bear (shocker) with a rainbow fairy dress and ballet slippers. We paid for our mistake of going to the zoo during Spring Break week bear, and rode the carousel before it was time for Kev to go back to work.



Then, the girls and I had a picnic lunch at the park!


Followed by a three hour nap for Merit. She was worn. Out.


After she woke up, we told her that we would take her anywhere she wanted to go for supper. She had been talking about Chuck E. Cheese's for days, but something wonderful came over her and she chose Chuy's. We didn't argue!

They were out of birthday sopapillas, so they brought us the yummiest cake at no charge. (Side note: Merit gets free stuff everywhere we go. Free cookies at Subway...free chocolate milk at Starbucks...the other night at Dotson's, the waitress gave her a DOLLAR and then came back by with a sucker...)

We then went home to blow out her candles on her birthday cupcakes, and we all went to bed full and happy. Overall, a really great day of celebrating our first baby girl!




7 comments:

The Perkins Family said...

Adorable! my soon-to-be three year old LOVES pink and purple too! She doesn't have any requests for her bday gifts, only that they are pink and purple! :)

Jill said...

She has THE SWEETEST smile!!!

Elliott and Cherry Wood said...

What a precious girl! I can't believe she is 3. We had the same thing happen to us at the zoo a few weeks ago--it was madness, and I didn't want to try to manage the madness by myself either!

mama nina said...

That was fun!!!! Thank you for that experience on her big day. Awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Great post! Oh how I love that girl! Grammie

erin f. said...

Happy Birthday to sweet Merit. It is no surprise that she get's free stuff wherever she goes, she is something special :)

I am glad you saved the birthday with build a bear, I can imagine the exact same scenario in our family someday...I do not do crowded anything, definitely not the zoo!

You're such a great Mama, and Merit is a darling...give her birthday kisses from me and Ellie.

Jessica said...

Wow that is alot of celebrating. To bad about the zoo, but it looks like she was super excited to go to Build A Bear.... nice save. I can't wait to see pictures from her actual party- you always are so creative when it comes to party planning!