Monday, September 13, 2010

why august rose?

I LOVE the sound of 
August Rose Albright
 I love the look of it.

I loved this name as we kept it a secret while I was pregnant, and I love this name even more now that I know the baby girl to whom it belongs.

I love how Merit calls her "Augus Wose".


And I love that her daddy calls her "Auggie" and can't help but say it in a British accent.


All that to say this... I love the name we chose for our sweet second daughter.


So why August Rose? 
Most assume it is because she was born in August. Simple enough. But really, this has very little to do with why we chose this name. When we found out we were having another girl, we were at a bit of a loss as far as names went. We love Merit's name so much that we had a hard time thinking of one that we loved just as much and felt was a good fit. In May, I was back in Abilene and my parents and I were discussing my grandmother and her twin sister's names. They went by Fay and May, but their names were actually Agnes Fay and Gussie May. I asked how their parents might have gotten a name like "Gussie" and my dad explained that it had come from family names. Their grandfather (my great-great grandfather) was named Augustus and he had a daughter named Augusta. Then, there was Gussie. My great-aunt May would have been 95 this year, so as far as I know, no one in my family has used a variation of these names in 95 years. It was then that I thought about August and immediately texted Kevan to get his opinion. He wasn't quite sold at first, but a month or so later decided that he, too, loved this name. I like that its meaning for us carries with it things that are greatly important to us: 
tradition, heritage, and family.

I pray that August will find importance in these things as well as she grows up and figures out who she wants to be.

August itself means 
great, magnificent.
  
We, of course, think this meaning fits her already, and are sure that she will continue to grow into this meaning as well.


As hard as it was to think of a first name, it was even harder to nail down the middle name. We had so many options, and since I had been the one to come up with August, I finally told Kevan that the middle name was up to him. Rose was a middle name he had mentioned in the very beginning, but I was the one who wasn't quite sold because I'm entirely too sentimental, and Rose didn't have much meaning to me personally. It was the week of August's birth (maybe even the day before) when Kevan finally decided that Rose was it. I did love the way it sounded with August, and I loved that he chose it, so Rose it was. At the hosptial, Kevan's mom shared with us that she had an Aunt Rose, so it turned out to be a family name, too.


So, there ya have it. August Rose Albright. A name we feel is the perfect fit for this perfectly sweet baby of ours.


All of the pictures in this post were taken by my friend Chelsea when August was a little over a week old. I'll share more as I get them edited.  
Thank you, Chelsea, for once again doing an amazing job of capturing our little family!!

ONE MONTH (!) post coming soon!

2 comments:

Leah said...

I love the name! And love it even more knowing the sweet sentiment behind it! When I found out I was pregnant with twins, my Mee-Maw told me about my Paw-Paw's twin sisters. Bertie and Blanche died as infants in 1909 so I never knew my twin great-aunts. But that is where I am guessing these twin genes came from!

High Heels and Huntin' Boots said...

What a precious little girl! Her name is precious! There's so much to a name. I'm sentimental as well and love that it has family ties! Congratulations!